Car Insurance Terms explained
Let’s face it. Car insurance terms aren’t always simple to comprehend. It doesn’t matter whether you are contemplating filing a claim or trying to understand the regulations and the policy. Sometimes the terms can leave you scratching your head.
Insurance doesn’t have to be to be complicated. This is why we’ve created a helpful glossary of words you’ll encounter during your insurance journey. We’ve broken them down into less insurance-y phrases. That way you’ll be prepared when it’s time to talk about car insurance you’ll be able to relax.
A Car Insurance Term Glossary
Accident Assistance: A handy button found in the TD Insurance Mobile App that you can utilize to instantly make a call to a tow truck and start a new claim. The tow truck will be immediately connected to our First Response Centre.
- Accident Forgiveness: Sometimes referred to as ‘Claim Forgiveness’, it’s a product offered where we accept that you will not adjust your insurance premium following your first accident , if you’re judged to be at fault or partly at fault.
- Actual Cash Value: The market value of your vehicle prior to being damaged.
- Additional Driver Any person who is allowed to drive your car (other other than you) which includes close family members and friends. The people who are added to your policy.
- Adjustor Oft referred to as an “advisor” They are an experienced professional who is assigned. They possess the expertise and expertise to collect information about your vehicle, arrange an appraisal, figure out the value of your vehicle or settle based on the assessment or loss.
- At-Fault: After an accident and based on the specifics of the incident, you can be found anywhere from 0% and 100 percent at fault. Anyone considered to be 1% or more at fault in an accident will have an at-fault incident recorded on their insurance records. The way in which the fault is determined can differ from claim-to-claim. There are guidelines within certain provinces for determining fault. However, depending on the evidence and the circumstances, the determination may differ.
- Auto Claims Tracker This feature allows you to track the progress of your claim. When you file your claim through us, you’ll be in a position to securely follow your claim across the five stages of a claim using the TD Insurance Mobile App or online using MyInsurance . Additionally, you’ll receive updates on your status from your dedicated advisor through email or text, depending the option you choose for.
Claim: If been the victim of damage or loss to your vehicle, this is what you must submit in order for the insurance company to approve to protect and validate your claim. It’s also what you submit in the event that you cause damage or harm to someone else or their property.
- Accident Benefits – Protection: All medical and other expenses are covered in an accident, regardless of the cause. These could include medical expenses and income replacement.
- Coverage – All Perils: Optional coverage that covers all loss-causing causes with the exception of those explicitly listed as exclusions in your policy. All perils coverage includes damage or loss in the event your car is stolen, or damaged by another driver or member of your household.
- Coverage Bodily Injuries: Protection against liability for damage to property of other people, as well as the loss of use for the property.
- Coverage – Collision Coverage for collisions is an option for your vehicle that takes care of the repair costs when it is damaged or hit in a collision or agitated with an object. The coverage will cover the cost of your car’s repairs and less the amount you pay as your deduction.
- Complete: This coverage package will protect your vehicle against certain Perils (hailing flood, theft, flooding, or fire to name just a few) (see “perils” definition). This coverage doesn’t include Collision Coverage.
- Coverage – Direct Compensation: Coverage that provides an amount of compensation for your vehicle and its contents in the event that another party is at fault, and you collect directly from your own insurance company.
- Coverage Family Protection: This feature extends your coverage to not only include yourself, but also family members too as long as they are covered up to the maximum amount of your liability insurance. This protection is useful should you be involved injured in an accident with someone else who only has the minimum liability insurance. Family protection is standard on car insurance policies across Canada, except in Quebec in which it’s not an option.
- Coverage Grand Touring Solution: This is a product we offer as an optional travel-minded insurance feature offered for those who drive within Canada or in the US which covers you if you find yourself in an accident, your car has been vandalized or stolen, when a natural disaster affects your vehicle or your vehicle, and many more. Coverage is also offered for damages to rented or borrowed vehicles, and also provides the hit and run deductible waiver and reimbursement for emergency road assistance you may require.
- Coverage-Limited Glass: coverage is available on your glass and windshield even if you’ve got complete coverage. A limited glass policy gives you some protection if the glass gets damaged due to vandalism or theft however chips and cracks from usage aren’t covered.
- Liability Insurance: This mandatory insurance coverage shields you from being held responsible for any damages or injuries to property or third party. You can opt to buy additional liability insurance in accordance with the policy you have. You could also purchase civil liability coverage to cover damages caused by an insured car an individual.
- Optional Coverage – Limited Waiver of Depreciation:This optional coverage allows you to receive the cost of purchasing your car in the event that it is lost or damaged. The coverage is in effect for 36 months following the original car’s delivery.
This coverage is also known in Ontario as Removing the Depreciation Deduction. In Quebec, this coverage is called Waiver of Depreciation.
- One-Way Insurance This is a basic brand for car insurance. It only covers liability and doesn’t cover damage to your vehicle.
- Coverage Perils: Specific risk or scenario that is covered by your insurance policy. Floods, fires and theft are all examples of perils.
- Protection against Property Damage:Protection against liability for damage to property of another such as loss of use of property.
- Coverage – Specialized Perils: Also known as named perils, these are the types of damages that are directly listed in your policy, and therefore are covered. Your policy might name certain perils, such as:
- Theft or attempted theft
- Water rising
- Riot or civil disturbance
Forced landing or falling of aircraft or parts of aircraft, or stranding, sinking, burning or collision of transport
Uninsured Car Insurance: This feature covers the death of a person, injuries as well as repairs (a deductible could be imposed according to your policy and laws in the province where the accident was a result of) in the event you’re in an collision with an insured driver or with a driver who has been accused of a hit-and run violation.
Cheap car insurance protects the car and pays for all the relevant expenses in the event of an accident. The best car insurance for you is the one that provides you with the protection you need. There are many kinds of car insurance available to car owners, and it may be a daunting experience to select the right insurance. There are policies, such as comprehensive car insurance policies as well as liability car insurance policies that differ in the extent of coverage offered. Insurance offers financial protection to motorists in the event of a fatal collision. The rules and regulations regarding insurance for automobiles can differ from state to state. In the majority of states, it is mandatory for every car owner to have insurance on their car. The cost of Los Angeles’s car insurance vary based on which insurer they are. It is recommended to check for quotes from several insurance companies in order to find affordable car insurance.
The minimum coverage requirements may differ from state-to-state. The minimum limit of insurance in California is 15/30/5. California has an insurance minimum of $30,000 for any person injured during an accident. There is a limit of $15,000 per person, and $5,000 for property damage coverage.
In general, insurance companies look at the driving record of a vehicle owner. Anyone with an excellent driving record is eligible for discount on his insurance premiums. Many car insurance companies provide loyalty discounts to car owners renewing their insurance with the same company over and over.
Many insurance companies offer free quotes via the Internet. To find affordable and reliable car insurance, motorists are able to use the services offered by discount brokers for insurance for cars. Many insurance companies offer cheap car insurance. Car owners should however verify the credibility of such insurance companies. Car owners must evaluate and contrast all estimates before selecting an insurance company.
Los Angeles car insurance costs depend on the brand and model of the vehicle. The general rule is that insurance for sports cars is more expensive than other vehicles.
Antique Car Insurance Advice
How To Obtain Car Insurance For An Antique Car
A lot of people are involved in restoring and displaying antique vehicles as a hobby. Even these antique cars require some form of insurance to protect against accidental damage. This is the reason why many search for car insurance for an antique car. Many companies offer car insurance for antique vehicles. Some specialize in antique car insurance. With a variety of car insurance companies to pick from, consumers have the choice of selecting the best kind of insurance to meet their needs.
Car Insurance Companies
Commercial car insurance companies can also provide insurance for antique cars. Also known as collector car insurance the policies are adapted to the specific car you’re looking to insure. Car insurance representatives will take all of your information and review different options with you to ensure that you’re getting the amount of coverage you require. They will also help you decide which types of coverage meet your budget, and what deductibles and limit amounts you’ll require.
A commercial car insurance firm offers insurance coverage to antique cars. This will provide policy holders peace of mind knowing that the company they’re dealing with has a good reputation. The policy holder could have their daily cars insured by the same company. The security of having a well-established company provide car insurance for an antique automobile is well worth the premium they’ll charge you to provide insurance for your old car.
Independent Insurance Companies
There are many independent insurance companies available to buy car insurance for an antique car. These insurance companies specialize in insurance for antique cars but they do not insure other vehicles. Certain independent insurance firms will only cover a specific kind of antique vehicle, which means that if the car you are attempting to insure is a unique one, if may be difficult to locate an insurance provider that will insure the vehicle. When you choose an independent insurance company that offers car insurance to an antique car, be sure that the company is reputable. You do not want to find out after months of paying insurance premiums, the company can’t or won’t be able to cover your insurance claim.
10 MOST COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT CAR INSURANCE
1. IS AUTO INSURANCE EXPANSIVE?
Insurance for autos is cheaper than health insurance. The annual average cost for car insurance for 2019 was $941.65. Many factors can affect the price you pay.
2. WHEN DO I NEED TO BUY CAR INSURANCE ?
Before you even get on the pedal, you must have auto insurance. Even if your vehicle was bought just minutes earlier the insurance was purchased, driving without insurance is unlawful.
3. DO I HAVE THE OPTION OF COVERING MY RED CAR TO GET MORE?
No. It is a common misconception. Your vehicle’s color is not a factor in the price of your insurance.
4. DOES MY GENDER AFFECT MY AUTO INSURANCE PREMIUM?
Oftentimes, yes. Different criteria are used by insurance companies in determining rates. It’s becoming less common that men have higher rates because of their gender.
5. DOES MY CREDIT SCORE AFFECT MY PREMIUM RATES?
Yes. The lower your credit score, the more you will be required to pay for fees.
6. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR AN INSURANCE COMPANY TO REFUSE ME SERVICES?
Yes. This is most common in instances where the driver has been convicted of a DUI or been involved in a serious accident, or has a sufficiently low credit score.
7. DO PARKING TICKETS ON MY RECORD RAISE MY PREMIUM?
It is not often. It is possible to be able to have one ticket in your history without it adversely affecting your premium.
8. WHAT IF I LIE ABOUT MY DRIVING HISTOLOGY?
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) refers to this as “soft fraud” and it will give the insurance company a valid reason to cancel your policy or deny you services.
9. WHAT IF I FORGET ABOUT A TICKET ON MY INSURANCE APPLICATION?
If you forget to list an incident or ticket when providing your information to the insurance company, they typically do not assume you lied. If they look over your files, they’ll adjust your quote to reflect the information that is missing.
10. WHO DO I have to put ON MY AUTO INSURANCE POLICY?
You are able to add other members of your family to your coverage so long as you live at the same address.